Longstone Lodge Guest Information
PLEASE NOTE SOME OF THE LOCAL DETAIL MAY NOT BE UP TO DATE, PLEASE CHECK WITH THE ESTABLISHMENT DIRECT
Welcome to Longstone Lodge, we trust you find this information useful. If you have any questions we will look forward to assisting you further, just see us at reception. We hope you enjoy your stay.
Hot Water & Heating
Laundry & Drying Room
TV, Telephone/Mobiles & WiFi
Linen & Towels
Hire Options & Charges
Wifi Password: Longstone17
Out of hours emergency hostel contact number: 07818441993 or 01720 423473.
1. Reception Hours & Emergency Contact
Longstone Lodge reception is open everyday at the following times:
8.30am to 10am
2pm to 3pm
5pm to 6.30pm, except Sundays
Should you need assistance outside of these hours, general enquiries can be made in the Café, however please be aware that lunchtimes particularly can get quite busy.
Should you need to contact the manager in an emergency, outside of reception or café hours, you can call: 07818441993 or 01720 423473.
2. Departures & Return Travel
On departure, please remember to vacate the property by 9.30am and to leave the room as you found it. Please leave a window open and strip your beds. Should you be departing the islands sooner and wish to leave your luggage at reception we offer complimentary left luggage storage. Keys to be left in drop-off box in reception.
Luggage: Luggage may be left in reception. Richard Hand Haulage will transport luggage to the Scillonian. Please call 01720 423007 to book or for further information.
Penzance Helicopters: The helicopter shuttle bus will collect you on your day of departure. Please follow the arrangements you have made on arrival or call the bus service on 01720 422126 or 07789296218. Alternatively you can email email@example.com
Skybus: The minibus will collect you on your day of departure. Please follow the arrangements you have made on arrival or call the bus service on 01720 423701. The Skybus Office is in Hugh Street, in the Steamship Company Building, telephone 01736 334220. Please contact them with any queries or for daily travel information. Website: www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk
Scillonian III: Passengers should be on the quayside at least one hour before sailing time. The Steamship Company office is in Hugh Street or call 01736 334220. Taxi transfers will need to be pre-arranged if required.
3. Cleaning & Changeovers
The Lodge is closed for cleaning strictly between 10am and 2pm.
Communal areas will be cleaned both daily during the specified cleaning times, with high touch points during each reception opening time. Private rooms will only be cleaned during changeovers.
Longstone Lodge will be implementing an increased cleaning schedule, including a regular antibacterial cleanse of all the available communal areas and high touch points, rotated bedding to allow 72+ hours between each use, as well as a deep clean of rooms between stays.
We will also be removing a number of items around the building that could potentially harbour the virus to assist with safety.
In order to undertaken safe methods of cleaning and guest room changeovers the hostel will be closed to all residents between 10am and 2pm. All guests will be required to vacate the premises between these times.
4. Onsite facilities
Use of the guest kitchen will be the main difference you will see during your stay. The Government have advised that shared facilities are to remain closed for the time being and so unfortunately the kitchen will not be available for use, along with the inside dining space. We will continuously review this and open these facilities as soon as we are clear it is allowable and we can do so safely.
To continue to offer you a self catering stay you will find a microwave in your room, along with a fridge to store your food items, and a kettle for that all important cuppa! A box of crockery will also be provided for your personal use during your stay, and collected daily during housekeeping for washing and sanitising. You are welcome to use the tables provided in your room for dining or take your meals al fresco at any of the tables in the gardens.
4b. Hot Water & Heating
Hot water is centrally controlled and should be available at all times. This is provided via thermal solar panels and immersion heater where necessary.
Electric room heating is provided during the cooler months, this is also centrally controlled. Please report any issues or heating requirements to reception.
4c. Drinking Water
Water on Scilly is provided by wells and a desalination plant and is safe to drink. Water is precious and we would ask that our guests remember this and use it sensibly.
4d. Laundry & Drying Room
Currently the guest laundry is closed. However there is a serviced laundrette at Porthcressa if required.
4e. TV, Telephone/Mobiles & WiFi
TV: We apologise but the lounge/diner is currently unavailble.
Telephone/Mobile: The mobile phone reception and mobile data is not particularly good in all rooms but is fine in the garden adjacent to the Cafe.
WiFi is free and available throughout the hostel.
4f. Linen & Towels
Linen: This is provided and beds are made up for you. We ask you to please strip the beds on departure. Should you need extra linen or pillows these can be requested from reception or in advance of arrival.
Towels: Towels are not provided, however both bath and beach towels are available to hire for the duration of your stay from reception for a small charge.
4g. Children’s Equipment
Please note that our usually provided toys and books are not available so you may wish to consider brings some entertainment with you. Wifi is available in all rooms for children's tablets.
The following items can be borrowed from us free of charge during your stay, just ask at reception:
Children’s outdoor play area is available to guests at anytime between 8am and 9pm. Children must be supervised when using the play equipment. The provided hand sanitiser should be used by all members of your family both before and after use.
4h. Hire Options & Charges
Bath/Beach Towels: £2 per towel, +£1 for subsequent changes
Bikes: Available via St. Mary’s Bike Hire, from £12.50 per day delivered to Longstone Lodge free of charge. Bookable via telephone on:
07552 994709 or through their website at: www.stmarysbikehire.co.uk
5. Provisions & Food Suppliers
In reception you will find a range of basic foodstuffs. Here you can buy dairy produce such as milk, butter and eggs, chilled foods and drink and frozen
bread and pizza. We also stock a range of fresh and frozen homemade meals that have been made here at Longstone – just pop them in the microwave for fuss free food! See the bottom of this information for a list of some of the items you can purchase at reception,
The Co-op in the main street, Hugh Street, is open from 9am until 10pm each weekday and between 11am until 4pm on a Sunday. Please note that they are operating a 10 person entry policy so you may find you need to queue.
New 'cash and carry' food store at Porthmellon Industrial Estate. Currently only online ordering for delivery: http://www.thestoreios.co.uk/
Situated just past Seasalt clothing store, the butchers offer a good selection of meat along with freshly baked bread and a range of other fresh vegetables, dairy produce and food supplies.
Parting Carn Farm Shop
Open 24 hours with honesty box, just 5-10 minutes walk. Sell their own free range chicken eggs.
Salakee Farm Shop
Open 24 hours with honesty box, just 5-10 minutes walk. Sell their own home grown organic salad vegetable, meats and free range duck eggs. Also have an online shop with a great range of local produce available for delivery: www.salakeefarm.co.uk
Scilly Food Boxes
Local produce for order and delivery: www.scillyfoodboxes.co.uk
Fresh Crab and Lobster
For fresh shellfish contact Ralph & Sarah Handy on: 01720 423352
Or enquire in Reception or the Café as Colin maybe able to help! Alternatively why not order a friday Lobster Nights take out? (ask at reception)
Longstone Café adjoins the Lodge via reception. The Café is open daily from Easter to the end of October from 10 to 4.30pm. During the cooler months the café opens on most Sundays. The Café is licensed and serves fresh coffee, homemade cakes, snacks and lunches. See our menu here
Longstone Café offers ‘Lobster Nights’ on a regular basis on Friday evenings from May to October. Here you can sample fresh local lobster and listen to a talk about shell fishing and stock preservation by local fisherman and Longstone owner Colin Jenkins.
Please ask at reception for further details and to order this as a friday take away.
7. Outdoors at Longstone
There is a large area of garden and landscaped grounds for you to enjoy whilst staying with us.
You are welcome to use all of the communal areas to relax and eat, as well as the café patio out of opening hours. We just ask that you leave these areas tidy once you have finished.
For children there is a purpose built play area, a football goal and large areas of grass to just run around. When using the outside areas please be aware that as these are quiet islands we would respectfully ask our guests to remember the comfort of others and keep noise to a minimum.
Longstone is situated in a rural countryside location with surrounding farmland and lower moors. Although beautiful it does mean that you may see cows and horses nearby as well as a fascinating array of insects including flies, bees and mozzies. We do have a small selection of insect repellents but we would recommend that you may wish to bring your own during July and August.
8. Recycling and Green practise
We make every effort here at Longstone to recycle as much as possible, as well as employing rainwater harvesting and composting. We therefore ask for your help to assist in these practises.
Please use the labelled bins provided in the communal kitchen to clean and split your waste (I am sure you are used to doing this at home!). We also ask you to put any food waste in the separate compost bin which is then recycled in our purpose built composter in the vegetable garden onsite.
9. Fire Safety
Notices regarding procedure in the event of a fire can be found just inside the bedroom door.
A Fire blanket can be found on the wall of the kitchen
Fire Extinguishers can be found in the communal kitchen, hallway, laundry and reception.
Detectors are installed throughout the building. Fire alarms will be tested at regular intervals.
Fire emergency lights are installed throughout the building, these will alight in the case of a fire.
In the event of a fire you should vacate the building immediately and make your way directly to the 'muster station' in the car park.
The Fire Brigade can be telephoned on 999.
In the unlikely event of contacting the fire service our full address is:
Longstone Lodge and Café, Longstone, St. Mary’s, Isles of Scilly TR21 0NW
We would be grateful if you would minimise the fire risk by not using candles, barbecues, observing the no-smoking policy (including vaping), and keeping doors closed.
10. Advice for your stay
The Tourist Information Centre can be found on Porthcressa Bank, near the back of the Town Hall. For further information see www.visitislesofscilly.com
Pleasure launches leave the Quay for the off-islands at 10.15am and 2pm and return lunchtime or at approx. 4.45 & 5.45pm. Many different trips are available; tickets and information are available on the quay or at the Tourist Information Centre. For more information see: www.scillyboating.co.uk
Taxis: Toots Taxi 07570 624669
DJ Cabs 07717 121101
105 Cabs 07856 475860
Scilly Cart Company: Hires electric ‘golf buggy’ style carts from their base at Porthmellon Industrial Estate on St. Mary’s. Options for daily, 3 days and weekly hire available with sizes of carts ranging from 2-8 seater. Contact phone number: 01720 422121 www.scillycart.co
Bikes: St. Mary’s bike hire offer a range of bikes, children’s trailers and electric bikes, which can either be delivered to Longstone for you or you can visit the shop on the Strand in town. To book see reception or call direct on: 07552 994709, www.stmarysbikehire.co.uk
We do hope that the weather is good for your holiday – if so, do protect yourself with a high factor sun cream, the air is very clear and consequently the ultra-violet rays are very strong.
Newspapers are available from Mumfords, the Paper Shop in the ‘High Street’. As these are flown in they are subject to delay in adverse weather conditions, and, unless there is a Sunday sailing of the Scillonian, the Sunday papers do not come until Monday.
Lloyds Bank can be found in Hugh Street and can handle transactions for other banks as does the Post Office. The Co-op offers a ‘cash back’ opportunity and a cashpoint/ATM can be found outside Lloyds. Please be aware that not all restaurants and shops accept credit or debit cards.
Basic food shops can be found in town. Prices might be slightly higher than the mainland to cover freight. The chemist ‘Douglas’ can be found at the end of town near the quay, the Pharmacist is at the Health Centre where you may wish to purchase travel calming tablets for the Scillonian..
There are two Hairdressers; ‘Blonde’, opposite the Museum, and ‘Cut Loose’ at Unit 2, situated opposite the Public Library at Porthcressa.
Gift Shops and Galleries abound on St. Mary’s and the off-islands.
The Health Centre and Hospital are situated between Hugh Town and Old Town on St. Mary’s.
Doctor 01720 422628
Hospital 01720 422392
Dentist 01720 624001
Pharmacy 01720 422021
We are a smoke-free establishment, and would ask that should you smoke, that to protect our property, you do this in the garden areas.
Re-Booking at Longstone Lodge
If you would like to re-book for next year, please let us know – you will of course be most welcome! If you have booked with an agent, you may like to book with us directly next year, or you can book online at any time through our website: www.longstonelodge.co.uk
We try very hard to make sure you enjoy your holiday on the Isles of Scilly. We aim to maintain a standard and keep our tariff to an acceptable level. Please let us know if there is any way that we can make your stay more comfortable.
We would appreciate your feedback through social media if you have a moment. You can find us on TripAdvisor, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
11. Eating Out (St. Mary’s)
There are several restaurants and cafes on St. Mary’s, the public houses also provide meals. It is advisable to check if these are open either for sit down or take away. We advise you book/order evening meals in advance where possible; last orders are often at 9pm. For up-to-date information on what the local restaurants are up to, see the Facebook page: Isles of Scilly Notice Board.
Restaurants (many are doing take away and/or delivery, please check):
Dibble & Grub 01720 423719
Juliet’s Garden 01720 422228
On the Quay 01720 423525
The Beach 01720 422521
The Canteen 07593 359397
Tanglewood Kitchen 01720 422454 (TAKE AWAY ONLY)
Golf Clubhouse Bistro 01720 422692
Longstone Café Lobster Night Take Out (Fridays - ask at reception)
Atlantic 01720 422417
Bishop & Wolf 01720 422771
Mermaid 01720 422701
Scillonian Club 01720 422720
Old Town Inn 01720 422301
Evening Take Away:
Pom’s Thai Porthcressa bank
Scilly Fish Porthcressa bank
The Galley Fish & Chips opposite Bourdeaux shop
Carn Vean Pelistry
Dibble & Grub Porthcressa Beach
Juliet’s Garden Porthloo/Seaways
Kaffehaus High Lanes CLOSED
Kavorna Hugh Town
Longstone Café Here!
Old Town Café Old Town (TAKE AWAY ONLY)
Strudel in Town Hugh Town CLOSED
Hugh Street Cafe Hugh Town
Bondie's Café Old Town (formerly Tolman/Coastal View Kitchen) CLOSED
Eating Out (Off Islands)
In the evening it is well worth a trip ‘abroad’ for food as half the fun is getting there! It is advisable to have an evening return boat booked in advance.
Adam’s Fish & Chips St Martins
High Tide St Agnes
The Crab Shack Bryher
The Ruin Tresco
Turks Head St Agnes
12. Useful and Emergency Contact Numbers
Longstone Lodge & Café 01720 422410 /emergency out of hours: 07818441993
Police Station 01720 422444
Doctor 01720 422628
Hospital 01720 422392
Dentist 01720 624001
Pharmacy 01720 422021
Isles of Scilly Travel 01736 334220
Tourist Information Centre 01720 620600
Richard Hand Haulage (luggage transport) 01720 423007
13. Access Statement
Longstone Lodge is situated 400m from the main circular road of St. Mary’s, almost central to the island, between Parting Carn and Sunnyside, 300m from Carreg Dhu Gardens and from the opposite direction Holy Vale. To access the property there is 200m of unmade road (ram) with sloping access to the car park and main entrance to both the Lodge and Café.
Letting rooms are all situated on the ground floor. Apartments are on the first floor via external metal stairs, there is also an additional external access pathway. Direct access to the hostel is via sloped access (1:10) from the car park in front of the café building.
Longstone Lodge (hostel) includes an accessible shower room/WC and accessible letting room.
• If arriving at St Mary’s airport by Skybus or Helicopter, you will be met by a Minibus taxi and brought to the door, with your luggage; your return pick-up time will also be confirmed with them. There is a small charge.
• If arriving by The Scillonian III, the hostel is approximately 20-25 minutes walk from the quay - luggage labelled is delivered separately by Richard Hand Haulage shortly after arrival - the cost is approximately £1.50 per case which should be settled directly with the provider. A taxi can be booked to meet the Scillonian if required, and the same operates in reverse on leaving.
• We do not accommodate pets in the hostel, One apartment allows dogs.
• The Lodge is non-smoking in all rooms and public areas.
• Our website www.longstonelodge.co.uk provides pictures of our reception, kitchen, adjoining lounge/dining room, bedrooms, outside area and café. Also further information about services we provide.
• Brochures and Menus can be provided in large print if needed. We regret we do not have facilities to prepare documents in Braille.
• You can contact us by telephone and email. Please see "Contact Information" on our website for full details.
• The 3 company owners and 6 staff intend to make your stay with us restful, relaxing and enjoyable.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
• Access to your room or apartment is usually from 2pm.
• Sometimes rooms or apartments are available earlier by arrangement.
• Luggage can be left and the hostel facilities used at any time.
• We offer assistance with luggage.
• It is highly unlikely that you will be bringing a car to the islands, however should you choose to hire a golf buggy there is plenty of car parking space available as well as 2x electric charging sockets.
Main Entrance & Reception
• From the car park and road there is sloped access with steps or level access across the cafe terrace and a small step through the front door.
• The front door is open from 8:30am and locked at 6:30pm. All guests are provided with a front door key.
Hostel Public Areas - General (Internal)
• The Reception office is normally manned from 8:30am-10.30am, 2-3pm and 5.00pm - 6:30pm* (*except Sunday).
• Out of reception hours the manager can be contacted in emergencies via telephone on: 07818441993
• Following the corridor straight ahead, up a slope (1:10) you will find the kitchen/lounge/diner.
• CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE: The kitchen is for guest use and includes an electric range cooker with 5 ring hob, a further 4 ring hob, double commercial sized sink, upright freestanding fried and fried/freezer, microwave, 2 kettles and 2 toasters. The kitchen also contains a wide range of common utensils and crockery. Storage crates are available for use to store personal food. Bins are provided for recycling and waste. The centre of the room hosts a large dining table for food preparation and eating which can seat 6-8 persons.
• CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE:The lounge/dining area can seat approximately 25 people. This area contains built in seating, large tables, shelving for entertainment equipment and a television with Freeview.
• The hostel has a full licence - guests can purchase drinks anytime the café or reception is open, alcoholic and non-alcoholic.
• CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE: Books are available for guests’ enjoyment and a small selection of board games, playing cards and magazines are also available in the dining area.
• Turning right up a slope before the kitchen door you will find the corridor from which all the bedrooms and accessible Shower/WC can be accessed.
Public Areas - WC
• An accessible gender neutral WC can be found at the end of the communal corridor passed the letting rooms. This WC also includes a shower with seat, baby change and children’s bath.
• From the reception there is a left hand door to access the Café (open 10.00am-4.30pm).
• The Café seats approximately 20 people. The internal café space is approx 23 feet x 38 feet, with laminate floor, various paintings and wall lights and windows that look out to Porth Hellick.
• Dietary requests - Please talk to the café staff regarding your needs and we will endeavour to accommodate you.
Laundry - CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE
• Turing right out of the external kitchen door is our laundry and drying room.
• This room contains a washing machine and tumble dryer (tokens are required to be purchased from reception), and a sink. It also has a shoe and drying rack.
• The nearest shops are in Hugh Town, approximately 2km. However basic provisions can be purchased from reception.
• Children’s Play Area: Access is available from 8am to 9pm via the garden in front of the café, through a wooden gate. The rules of this area are posted next to the gate. Guests use this area at their own risk. Children under 12 should not be left unattended.
• Garden areas can be used by guests as well as the café patio area. All areas must be left as found.
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting, Clubs, Entertainment
• Not Available
• The hostel has 9 bedrooms.
• 8 rooms have shower rooms/WC/washbasin.
• One bedroom (family 5) uses the accessible shower/WC as a shared facility.
• Room 1, Twin beds, 3.6mx5.1m (including ensuite shower/WC), private decking a picnic table through patio doors, some views over Porth Hellick
• Room 2, 4 person room, 3.9mx5.4m (including ensuite shower/WC), with built in bunk beds and twin beds. rear garden view through windows.
• Room 3, Twin beds, 3.6mx5.1m (including ensuite shower/WC), private decking an picnic table through patio doors, some views over Porth Hellick
• Room 4, Single bed, 2.4mx5.4m (including ensuite shower/WC), rear garden view through windows.
• Room 5, Twin beds, 3.6mx5.1m (including ensuite shower/WC), private decking an picnic table through patio doors, some views over Porth Hellick
• Room 6, Dormitory room, 4.5mx5.4m (including shared ensuite shower/WC),, 3x sets of built in 3ft bunk beds with privacy curtains, rear garden view through windows.
• Room 7, Twin beds, 3.6mx5.1m (including ensuite shower/WC), private decking an picnic table through patio doors, some views over Porth Hellick
• Room 8, Single bed, 2mx5.4m (including ensuite shower/WC), rear garden view through windows.
• Room 9, Double bed with built in 3ft over bunk, set of built in 3ft bunk beds, 4.5mx4.5m, private decking, a picnic table through patio doors, some views over Porth Hellick. Accessible bathroom is adjacent to this room.
• All bedrooms have electric wall heaters with thermostats which are centrally controlled.
• Each bathroom has hand soap and toilet roll. Towels are available to hire from reception.
* Each bedroom includes a spare blanket per person, one hairdryer and a non-slip shower mat.
• Pillows are synthetic. Our beds are made with duvets.
• There is a hanging rack, bedside tables with lamp and a table with additional seating.
• A television point is in each room.
• A folder in each bedroom contains information about the hostel, details of emergency contacts, including doctors and hospitals. Also the facilities available on the islands: shops, restaurants, boating, tours, entertainments etc.
• All bedrooms and lounge areas have electric wall heaters with thermostats which are centrally controlled.
• Each bathroom has towels, hand soap and toilet roll. Beach towels are available to hire from reception.
* Each bedroom includes a spare blanket per person, one hairdryer and a non-slip shower mat.
• Pillows are synthetic. Our beds are made with duvets.
• There is a wardrobe and bedside tables with lamp.
• A television is located in the lounge area along with seating for all guests.
• There is a fully equipped kitchenette and dining table for all guests.
• A folder in each apartment lounge area contains information about the hostel, details of emergency contacts, including doctors and hospitals. Also the facilities available on the islands: shops, restaurants, boating, tours, entertainments etc.
• Fire extinguishers are in obvious places around the hostel and apartments. A full fire detection (smoke) system is fitted in each room and apartment. In the event of a fire, alarm bells will ring continuously - please follow the exit signs to evacuate the property. The alarm bell system is tested weekly
• The system was newly installed in 2018 and is to the latest specification.
• All fire escape routes are clearly marked and lit.
• The tap water is of perfect quality to drink.
• Mobile Phones - reception varies on the island. Vodafone is good almost everywhere and EE are the next best. The others vary and some will work in some places and not others so please check with your provider.
• WiFi – Internet access is free throughout the hostel and can be accessed using password: Longstone17
• Address: Longstone Lodge & Café, St. Mary’s, Isles of Scilly TR21 0NW
• Telephone: 01720 422410
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Website: www.longstonelodge.co.uk
• Hours of operation for enquiries: 8.30am to 6.30pm
• Emergency number: There is an emergency only night number on reception: 07818441993 and in all bedrooms for contacting a member of staff.
• We have a constant rolling program of upgrading the garden areas and maintaining the bedrooms, with updates if required
If you require further details or have any comments about the services we provide do not hesitate to contact us.
LONGSTONE LODGE RECEPTION PROVISIONS MENU
Please note this is our usual menu, however this may change seasonally or dependant on availability
Dairy Milk Freddo
Peeled Plum Tomatoes
Frozen Homecooked Meals - See Freezer for choice and prices
Gluten Free Bread
TOILETRIES & WASHING
Fairy Non Bio Washing Capsules
Coke/Diet Coke/Fanta/7up Can
Soft drink bottles
Still Spring Water
Ales of Scilly